BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Let's welcome Huck!

The Mighty fold is growing. Tonight we welcome Mathew "Huckleberry" Ingles to our teaching crew! Huck, as he's known to most (read about how he got the name below), has been teaching yoga in Ithaca and Cortland for the past couple of years. He coordinated the Finger Lakes' first yoga festival this past August, and if you're a fan of roller derby, you may already know he is the official yoga instructor for the Ithaca SufferJets. Needless to say, we're thrilled to have Huck on the schedule! He'll be teaching Wednesday evenings at 6pm. Please join him at his first MY class tonight!


For now, meet Huck in our conversation with him below.
Mighty Yoga: How did you come to yoga?
Huck Ingles: In 1998 I was in a skiing accident that left me in pain. A friend gave me a book on power yoga and showed me some basics. I used sun salutations to deal with back pain and stiffness. But, it wasn't until about five years later that I started to take it seriously. I reached a point in my life where just easing back pain wasn't enough. I needed to take control of my physical and mental health. I began practicing regularly, and the results were so rewarding I have dedicated myself for life.

MY: What do you like about Power Yoga?
Huck: Power Yoga takes me to a state of humble surrender. For me, I need to the challenge, to find my limits. I live an active and intense life, and, as we know, yoga practice is life practice. We learn from yoga what we need to know for life. If my life is intense, active, and challenging, then my yoga practice should reflect that. Power Yoga does that for me.

MY: What do you like to do off the yoga mat?
Huck: I can't get enough of the outdoors. I love swimming, camping, hiking, mountain biking and snowshoeing. When I am at home, I like to garden, read, cook, and play guitar. In the summer, you will find me working at the local festivals and events. I travel when I can. I usually avoid the tourist traps and take local vacations, exploring the nooks and crannies of small towns, museums, and state parks.

MY: We can’t resist asking. Why the name “Huck?”
Huck: In 1995 I attended a festival in the Mark Twain Forest in Missouri. It was a hot summer, and I was wearing a large brimmed hat to keep the sun off. I had run out of clean clothing and borrowed a pair of overalls from a girl I was traveling with. They were a bit short on me and came just below my knees. I guessed I looked the part because people began calling me Huck. When I got back home, I had mail addressed to Huckleberry. The nickname stuck. People call me Mathew too. I'm okay with either.

0 comments: