BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Confessions of a Yoga Instructor: Too much of a good thing?


Confessions of a Yoga Instructor: Too much of a good thing?
By Erica Harris

A lot of times I am asked, "How many times should I practice yoga per week?"  Of course, this is my own personal opinion, and should yours differ, we can still be yogi friends :)  I believe in doing some form of yoga every day: even if its just a few sun salutations in the morning to wake up the body (search "Amazing Yoga" via iTunes for a great example of a sun salutations warm up).  The American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes of physical activity at least 5 times per week.  Walking the dogs, house cleaning, or anything that gets you moving counts!

I, personally, wake every morning with a few forward folds and sun salutations (about 4-8 times will do it).  During snow boarding season I increase my warm-ups in the morning and evenings.  By moving the body we can prevent future injury.  Currently, I teach 5 classes per week.  Most classes I do very little demonstration (but I might sneak in a satisfying downward facing dog) and I usually participate in the classes abdominal work.  However, as an instructor I still require myself to attend class.  I like to attend class at least twice per week.

If you're brand new to yoga I recommend 2-3 times per week in  a group format and daily warm-ups (such as sun salutations or other forms of stretching/cardio).  With this said, it is always important to listen to your body.  If you need to rest, rest. If you need to be challenged, challenge yourself in a way that you feel energized and not pushed to injury.  My oldest rule is if it hurts don't do it (or do the modification pose). If you feel challenge, accept it and breathe into it.  

Finally, if you need a place to practice yoga in a group, check out Mighty Yoga in Ithaca: Yoga every day of the week!

0 comments: